There are snow/ice specific tires available on the market but you will see our list contains some all terrain and even mud tires that have shown to perform strongly in cold weather conditions. Many folks don’t feel it is worth the money to buy a dedicated snow tire just to run them for a few months but for those who live in a year round snow environment committing to the exclusive snow tire will make more sense. These tires are engineered with special tread patterns, rubber compounds, and siping to maximize performance and ensure safety in winter conditions. While there are many options available in the market, we took a look at what are considered some of the best off-road tires for snow.
These are not necessarily listed in any order but when looking at the topic of best off-road tires for snow there will always creep in some subjectivity based on personal preferences, cost and specific type of cold terrain. However, there is not much dispute that all ten of choices below perform admirably. Let’s run down the list.
1. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 – This tire is highly regarded for its outstanding performance on and off-road. The aggressive tread design with large and deep voids provides excellent traction in snow and slush, while the interlocking tread blocks enhance stability and handling. The KO2’s sidewalls are reinforced with a tough rubber compound to resist punctures and cuts, making it a reliable choice for off-road adventures in snowy conditions.
2. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac – Another popular choice among off-road enthusiasts, the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac is known for its versatility and superior performance in snowy environments. Its unique tread pattern with large grooves and staggered shoulder blocks provides excellent traction on snow and ice. The tire is also equipped with TractiveGroove Technology, which enhances grip in deep snow and slush. Additionally, the Wrangler DuraTrac features Goodyear’s DuPont Kevlar construction, offering enhanced durability and puncture resistance.
3. Cooper Discoverer STT Pro – Designed for extreme off-road conditions, the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is a tire that will not disappoint in snowy terrains. Its aggressive tread pattern features large, self-cleaning lugs, providing excellent traction on snow and slush. The tire also incorporates a unique Armor-Tek3 construction, which adds extra strength and protection against cuts and punctures. This tire is a popular choice among off-road enthusiasts who prioritize both performance and durability.
4. Toyo Open Country M/T – The Toyo Open Country M/T is a mud-terrain tire that delivers exceptional performance in winter conditions. Its aggressive tread design with wide shoulder blocks and deep grooves offers excellent traction on snow and ice. The tire’s siping technology improves grip and stability, making it a reliable choice for off-roading in the snow. Additionally, the Open Country M/T features a high-strength construction that enhances durability and puncture resistance, making it a reliable option for challenging winter terrains.
5. Nitto Ridge Grappler – The Nitto Ridge Grappler is a hybrid tire that combines the best elements of an all-terrain and mud-terrain tire. Its unique tread pattern features both aggressive lugs for off-road traction and a high-density siping for snow and ice performance. The tire’s reinforced sidewall design provides increased puncture resistance and durability. Whether you’re driving on-road or off-road in snowy conditions, the Nitto Ridge Grappler offers excellent performance and control.
6. Falken Wildpeak AT3W – A popular choice among off-road enthusiasts, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is known for its excellent performance in all weather conditions, including snow. Its aggressive tread pattern with deep grooves and siping provides outstanding traction on snow and ice. The tire’s four-pitch sequence and rigid block design ensure stable handling and precise steering response. The Wildpeak AT3W also features a durable construction that enhances puncture resistance and longevity.
7. General Grabber ATX – The General Grabber ATX is a versatile all-terrain tire that excels in challenging winter conditions. Its aggressive tread pattern with self-cleaning sipes and a unique sidewall design ensures superior traction on snow and slush. The tire’s robust construction provides enhanced durability and puncture resistance, making it a reliable choice for off-road adventures in snowy terrains. Whether you’re driving on the highway or exploring off-road trails, the Grabber AT2 delivers excellent performance in winter conditions.
8. Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 – The Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 is a mud-terrain tire that offers exceptional performance in snowy environments Its aggressive tread pattern with deep grooves and optimized siping provides excellent traction on snow and ice. The tire’s durable construction and triple polymer compound help enhance puncture resistance and extend tread life. The Geolandar M/T G003 is a popular choice among offroaders who want a tire that can handle the toughest winter conditions without compromising performance or durability.
9. Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus – The Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus is a reliable and versatile off-road tire that performs well in snowy conditions. Its aggressive tread pattern with wide shoulder blocks and deep grooves ensures excellent traction on snow and ice. The tire’s optimized siping and dense siping pattern enhance grip and handling in winter conditions. The durable compound and reinforced sidewalls provide added protection against cuts and punctures, making it suitable for challenging off-road adventures in the snow.
10. Nexen Roadian MTX – Nexen is newer to the mud terrain lineup and boasts an aggressive with two separate sidewall pattern options-beast and machine. While it is a mud terrain and as we have seen with other similar tires this tread pattern performs well in the cold stuff. It is also one of the more affordable options of the group and gaining popularity with several good reviews.
Now choosing the best off-road tires for snow depends on various factors, including the type of terrain you’ll be tackling, your vehicle’s capabilities, and your personal preferences. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your off-road adventures and consult a tire professional to ensure you select the right tires for your needs
Remember, when driving in snowy conditions, it is essential to drive responsibly and adjust your driving techniques to the weather and road conditions such as airing down when suggested-mostly snowy conditions. Even with the best off-road tires, it’s crucial to maintain a safe following distance, reduce your speed, and avoid sudden maneuvers. No matter what your opinion of the best off-road tire for snow is, you really can not go wrong any of these options as they have all shown high performance in cold weather off-roading. With the right tires and good driving skills, you can conquer the winter off-road terrain with confidence and enjoy the thrilling experience of off-roading in the snow.